You are not logged in.
Before you can reserve a spot, you must be a NYSN member. If you are a returning user please Sign in. New users please Sign up.
8:45 am - 5:50 pm
*** Due to a suspension of train service on the Hudson Line we are providing roundtrip transportation to and from midtown for those not driving themselves****. Join a group of NYSN members and friends as we enjoy a day out of the city and uncover a little history. We will tour the Snyder Estate, home of the Widow Jane Cement Mine. We will also check out the Rosendale Trestle, a continuous truss bridge and former railroad trestle nestled in Rosendale Village. We’ll be sure to stop at a few farm stands and a hard cider mill along the way as well.
How it works:
- You can take or van or drive the the group meeting point in Highland, NY. If taking our van click “add round trip transportation” and ride in our van from midtown to all the activities and back.
- Once the whole group is together we will head to the hike at Snyder Estate.
- On the hike the group will stop for lunch. Bring your own or purchase up there.
- After the hike we will go to the Rosendale Trestle which has now been converted into a pedestrian walkway.
- Before going back to the train we will stop at a local farm stand and hard cider mill.
- You will be brought back to the train station for the 5:50pm at the latest.
Hike level: 2 (out of 10). The hike is mostly on smooth paths and not many hills. Sneakers are fine. The hike is only about 1 mile.
Is it dangerous? No. The old mines at the Snyder Estate are actually used for concerts and performances. They are more like large caves. There are no mine shafts.
What to bring: sunblock, 1 liter of water, lunch (unless you purchase upstate), backpack to hold anything you may purchase along the way.
Cost: $85 general members $75 VIP members
If you wish to take our van from midtown click on “add Transportation.” additional $40
Not included: lunch, anything you purchase along the way
About Snyder Estate:
Cement from Rosendale, NY was regarded as the the best cement in the world. The foundations of the Brooklyn Bridge, Statue of Liberty and Federal Hall were all made with Rosendale Cement. By the 1970s, quicker drying cement became more desirable and the mines were forced to close leaving Rosendale a ghost town. Today, Rosendale is making a comeback and the area surrounding the mines was turned into beautiful hiking trails from which you can see the old cement factory on the Snyder Estate from the early 1800s. You can also get a peek into the cement mines which are dug into the sides of the cliffs and are more like caves.
COVID-19 Protocols: Mixed Group
- This event is open to vaccinated and non vaccinated members.
- We will take temperatures upon arrival
- If you think you have been exposed or have recently tested positive please do not come.
- If there is a mix of vaccinated and non vaccinated participants we will ask that masks are worn while in close proximity to others like in the van or in accordance with the regulations and guidelines of any venue we visit.
Can I come alone? Yes, 98% of those attending this event normally register on their own. You welcome to bring as many non member guests, friends & co workers as you’d like, just make sure to register for the number of people that you want below. Our staff will be ready to greet you and introduce you to others whether you are on your own or with guests.
Do I need a ticket? No we will have you name on our list
Dress Code: Check the weather for Kingston NY and dress for the weather.
How will I find the group? We will send you a confirmation email with exact locations, contact info and names of those who are hosting the event when you register. We will send follow up emails as we get closer, usually the night before or morning of.
Ages: 21+ Most of our events attract 20’s -40’s although some events can skew younger or older (50’s) depending on the event. Some events are clearly age specific as indicated. If this is an issue for you contact Dave at the address below and we can usually give you a very accurate idea of what to expect.
Who Comes to These?: Our activities attract NY Professionals from all backgrounds and professions who are looking to expand their social circles. You will also find others who are looking to learn something, network for business, try something they have never done before or enjoy something they love doing but can’t get their friends to do. There may also be some people looking to find that someone special who share a passion for the same activities (but don’t make this the sole reason you come out).
Questions? If you want to know how many people are coming, what the ages are likely to be, the gender breakdown or the overall vibe of the event before you register, contact Dave Cervini at email@example.com or call 212-873-2256.
This event is nonrefundable unless the event is canceled or rescheduled.
By registering for this event you take full responsibilities for your actions and agree to conduct yourself accordingly.
Venue: Take the 8:50am Metro-North train from Grand Central to Poughkeepsie
My venue content